Editorial by Dan L. Hollifield

Tell us what you thought of the July 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post July 25, 2013, 03:23:57 AM

Editorial by Dan L. Hollifield

A tiny fragment of the editorial reads:
"...steampunk music project..."

The latest news I'll chime in with is from Indiana University. In adding some more Punk to SteamPunk, they're playing records... old records...

wait for it ...

*printed on paper*!

http://mediapreservation.wordpress.com/ ... -pictures/

"...Rather, it’s because the items in question don’t look or behave much like the media we were surveying—discs, reels, cylinders, cassettes, and so forth. Instead, they’re pictures in books. And pictures in books seem well outside the scope of the Media Preservation Initiative.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t play them back—and some of them are pretty exciting. ...

Here’s how it works. First, I take a high-resolution scan of the print and convert it from a spiral into a set of parallel lines through a polar-to-rectangular-coordinates transform.

After repairing any breaks in the line, I use a “paintbucket” tool to create two separate bands of varying width—one with the area below the line filled in white, the other with the area above the line filled in white. Next, I run these images through ImageToSound, a program that converts them into WAV files as though they were variable-area optical film sound tracks. Finally, I combine the paired WAV into stereo files, stitch the successive pieces together, sum to mono, and voilà—we have sound!"

"Filed under Things that people with IQ 150 do for fun."
:shock: :idea: :D

Editor Emeritus

Post July 26, 2013, 12:53:42 AM

Re: Editorial by Dan L. Hollifield

Dan,

It's great to hear about the people checking out Flash of Aphelion.
And I am really hoping for your success with the Mare Inebrium project. :)

John

Editor Emeritus

Post July 26, 2013, 04:42:00 AM

Re: Editorial by Dan L. Hollifield

Do we have any "Official" Aphelion flyers? It seems relevant to this month's editorial because of Dan's 'Con adventure.

I just got word there's supposed to be a new Scifi / Maybe Gaming store opening here in Queens NY next week, so I thought about floating a few flyers around!

Return to July 2013