Bullet Train by Richard Tornello Poem

Tell us what you thought about the June 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post June 21, 2013, 03:17:49 AM

Bullet Train by Richard Tornello Poem

Thread Opener.

Master Critic

Post July 01, 2013, 11:40:38 AM

Re: Bullet Train by Richard Tornello Poem

The first 50 poems Rick sent me some years ago I thought wow...this is really bad! No focus, none to little comprehension and so on. And he had a way of not following writing rules of any kind, including punctuation, capitalization etc.

But through the years, he has tightened up the focus to laser beam accuracy and has acquired the ability to externalize, internal feelings with imagery, while retaining his personal philosophy, which comes through his writing.

He still has an irritating manner of ignoring standard rules of writing, but NOW - he has made it work in his favor.

Editor Emeritus

Post July 09, 2013, 05:24:09 PM

I think this poem is beautifully written, but it was difficult to decode. Words/phrases like "maglev," "mental inertia," and "linked in to what? a luddite not" were great. I also like the reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Here are some online resources I found to get me a little closer to the poem's meaning:

A siding, in rail terminology, is a low-speed track section distinct from a running line or through route such as a main line or branch line or spur. It may connect to through track or to other sidings at either end. Sidings often have lighter rails, meant for lower speed or less heavy traffic, and few, if any, signals. Sidings connected at both ends to a running line are commonly known as loops; otherwise they are known as single-ended sidings or dead end sidings, or (if short) stubs.
--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siding_(rail)

Maglev (derived from magnetic levitation) is a method of propulsion that uses magnetic levitation to propel vehicles with magnets rather than with wheels, axles and bearings. With maglev, a vehicle is levitated a short distance away from a guideway using magnets to create both lift and thrust. High-speed maglev trains promise dramatic improvements for human travel if widespread adoption occurs.
--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev

Considering that based on my reading maglev is still in developmental stages in most places, is this poem set in the near future? Or is it set in someplace like Japan that has a working example of a maglev line?

The ash heap of history (or often garbage heap of history or dustbin of history or landfill of history) is a figurative place to where objects such as persons, events, artifacts, ideologies, etc. are relegated when they are forgotten or marginalized in history.
--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_heap_of_history

To me the poem seems to be about the narrator thinking about being obsolete and left behind as future technology like the maglev train will leave the older trains behind. He sees his granddaughter working with and understanding technology with a fresh brilliance he no longer has, which brings him to confront his mortality.

There's a lot packed into this poem. It's complex and thought provoking.

John

Master Critic

Post July 10, 2013, 06:37:49 PM

Thank you.

i appreciate that.

RT

Master Critic

Post July 20, 2013, 10:17:29 AM

Perhaps, although we are shooting stars, through our progeny - whether biological or intellectual - our creative selves can still be a part of the future. Even when we are dead, what we've done with our lives may contribute to the future. One generation teaches the next who then go further than we could ever have imagined.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post July 20, 2013, 10:57:40 AM

bottom boozer wrote:
Perhaps, although we are shooting stars, through our progeny - whether biological or intellectual - our creative selves can still be a part of the future. Even when we are dead, what we've done with our lives may contribute to the future. One generation teaches the next who then go further than we could ever have imagined.

One can only hope.

RT

Return to June 2013