Editorial by Dan Hollifield

Tell us what you thought about the June 2013 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 03:04:39 PM

Editorial by Dan Hollifield

Thank you, Dan. 72 flash challenges resulting in more than 411 inspired challenge entries not including Nate's sample stories and a print anthology over the course of six years . I will do my best to continue the tradition.

John Rose

Master Critic

Post June 20, 2013, 04:05:40 PM

Re: Editorial by Dan Hollifield

I'm pretty excited and waiting for the new challenge.

I'm sure these will be great too!!

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 04:10:52 PM

davidsonhero wrote:Thank you, Dan. 72 flash challenges resulting in more than 411 inspired challenge entries not including Nate's sample stories and a print anthology over the course of six years . I will do my best to continue the tradition.

John Rose

Oh my gods... you mean "J. Davidson Hero" is a pseudonym? I never would have guessed... Now, if his name had been Hiero Protagonist, like the -- er -- hero / protagonist of Neal Stephenson's "Snowcrash", then I might have been suspicious.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 04:33:30 PM

I did like "Snowcrash." :)

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 05:41:18 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
davidsonhero wrote:Thank you, Dan. 72 flash challenges resulting in more than 411 inspired challenge entries not including Nate's sample stories and a print anthology over the course of six years . I will do my best to continue the tradition.

John Rose

Oh my gods... you mean "J. Davidson Hero" is a pseudonym? I never would have guessed... Now, if his name had been Hiero Protagonist, like the -- er -- hero / protagonist of Neal Stephenson's "Snowcrash", then I might have been suspicious.

Yep, I was just as shocked! I had no idea either! (Though I sorta do a reverse on my own name policy and don't excessively pry into other people's screen names. I just figured it would have been ____ Davidson.

Now YOU dear Robert, if you tell me *yours* is a screen name and that you are really Alice Sheldon I'll be disturbed! ("James Tiptree Jr.")

I WAS wondering who this "John Rose" character was though, I'm like "tell me they didn't pull some random outsider in ... but WHO is this guy? Is he an alien?"
THAT would be an awesome trick! (And we all missed it for the "Winning the Editorial Board" Challenge - who better to run the SciFi division of a publishing house? Oh dear me, that's starting to brew up story ideas!
:shock:

So Hero, you and Nate are both in Wisconsin - how far apart from each other? Have you ever been to each other's parties?

Poetry Editor

Post June 20, 2013, 06:42:40 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:Who better to run the SciFi division of a publishing house? Oh dear me, that's starting to brew up story ideas!

It's been done :) "Tharg the Mighty" has been editor and publisher of the British science-fiction anthology comic 2000 AD since 1978. :D
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 06:49:45 PM

Yep, I was just as shocked! I had no idea either! (Though I sorta do a reverse on my own name policy and don't excessively pry into other people's screen names. I just figured it would have been ____ Davidson.

I WAS wondering who this "John Rose" character was though, I'm like "tell me they didn't pull some random outsider in ... but WHO is this guy? Is he an alien?"
THAT would be an awesome trick! (And we all missed it for the "Winning the Editorial Board" Challenge - who better to run the SciFi division of a publishing house? Oh dear me, that's starting to brew up story ideas!

So Hero, you and Nate are both in Wisconsin - how far apart from each other? Have you ever been to each other's parties?

For the record, my full name is John David Rose, which does with some rearrangement of letters become J. Davidson Hero. And my father's name is David, so Davidson is an accurate description of me. :) I did let the cat out of the bag a while ago though. My bio in the "Flash of Aphelion" anthology mentions that J. Davidson Hero is a pen name and the bio includes my real name.

Nate and I have been friends since college. We lived in the same dorm and were part of the same group of friends. We were both English majors, and if memory serves me, we even took a couple classes together. We currently live about 4 hours apart, and yes, in the past we have attended a few of the same parties, but that was mostly before either of us had kids. Sorry I'm not an alien. :(

Poetry Editor

Post June 20, 2013, 07:22:58 PM

davidsonhero wrote:Sorry I'm not an alien. :(

Are you sure? You might be a mind-wiped sleeper agent. Does the phrase "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" mean anything to you?
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post June 20, 2013, 09:33:38 PM

Are you sure? You might be a mind-wiped sleeper agent. Does the phrase "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" mean anything to you?

...it does seem familiar... perhaps a whispering I heard in some fevered dream... I remember strange otherworldly... geometry... I can't quite put it into words... :shock:

Long Fiction Editor

Post June 20, 2013, 11:01:16 PM

Wormtongue wrote:
davidsonhero wrote:Sorry I'm not an alien. :(

Yeah, we can all see the radiation coming off your head. Fine by me, though, and best of everything on taking over the flash.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post June 21, 2013, 01:17:36 AM

davidsonhero wrote:

...it does seem familiar... perhaps a whispering I heard in some fevered dream... I remember strange otherworldly... geometry... I can't quite put it into words... :shock:

Not -- not non-Euclidean geometry! Iiiiiaaaa! Shub-niggurath! The Old Ones rise from their eons-long sleep in lost R'lyeh! C'thulhu fthnagn! :shock:
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Editor Emeritus

Post June 21, 2013, 03:24:57 AM

Hmm. I haven't been to any 'Cons in decades (!!), not least because of the area I was in. But having moved to NYC, I gotta believe there will be a couple of rockin' 'cons here, so I'll try to add that to my list of things to do!

WebMaven

Post June 21, 2013, 09:14:06 AM

NYC will put you in striking distance of a great many good conventions, especially if you're willing to travel as far as, say, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Boston. (Which isn't to say there's not great cons right in NY, but just that you're in a place where a number of great con-hosting cities are within a easy travel radius.

Editor Emeritus

Post June 23, 2013, 09:29:15 PM

davidsonhero wrote:

For the record, my full name is John David Rose, which does with some rearrangement of letters become J. Davidson Hero. And my father's name is David, so Davidson is an accurate description of me. :) I did let the cat out of the bag a while ago though. My bio in the "Flash of Aphelion" anthology mentions that J. Davidson Hero is a pen name and the bio includes my real name.

Nate and I have been friends since college. We lived in the same dorm and were part of the same group of friends. We were both English majors, and if memory serves me, we even took a couple classes together. We currently live about 4 hours apart, and yes, in the past we have attended a few of the same parties, but that was mostly before either of us had kids. Sorry I'm not an alien. :(

John was an usher at my wedding and the woman he married was kind of like my adopted kid sister at college, but that's not why he got the job. He's a good writer and has an even temperament for handling hot-headed authors (or ones with easily-bruised egoes), but more importantly, he has been involved with flash here for some time, perhaps more than even he realized. He helped with the flash anthology. Most of the art on the cover was made by him, and he made several good suggestions about it's layout. If I recall, he may even have suggested the anthology in the first place.

It was a logical choice.
Hardcover, paperback, pdf, eBook, iBook, Nook, and now Kindle & Kobo!
A cooperative effort between 17 Aphelion authors. No part of any sales go to Aphelion.

Master Critic

Post July 01, 2013, 11:49:19 AM

Dan, I was very close to joining you at the Choo Choo this last Friday, checked the event website, reviewed the programming and so forth, but I decided at the last minute to work on the next writing challenge over the weekend.

In retrospect, I should have come to the event!

Master Critic

Post July 01, 2013, 11:53:42 AM

In a Flash

kailhofer wrote:John was an usher at my wedding and the woman he married was kind of like my adopted kid sister at college, but that's not why he got the job. He's a good writer and has an even temperament for handling hot-headed authors (or ones with easily-bruised egoes), but more importantly, he has been involved with flash here for some time, perhaps more than even he realized. He helped with the flash anthology. Most of the art on the cover was made by him, and he made several good suggestions about it's layout. If I recall, he may even have suggested the anthology in the first place.

It was a logical choice.

John, if you can retain your joy throughout your duration as flash editor, you will succeed. I understand the job can drain it from you.

Good Luck!

Senior Editor

Post July 01, 2013, 11:47:38 PM

The convention was a blast! I don't know how the con staff keeps making everything become better every year. But they do indeed manage that trick, somehow. I'm close enough to LibertyCon and AnachroCon to have gotten a peek behind the curtain, and there is so much hard work involved that most folks wouldn't believe it if you explained all the details. More details will be forthcoming in my next editorial.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Return to June 2013