cyber war

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post December 29, 2012, 09:53:48 AM

The Mayan Calender Song

The Mayan Calender Song
By A member pushing his luck

On the first day of the Apocalypse will Aphelion give to me...An up-to-date spam filter soft-ware.

On the second day of the Apocalypse will Aphelion give to me...Issues out on time,
And an up-to-date spam filter soft-ware.

On the third day of the Apocalypse will Aphelion give to me...Writers with fresh works,
Issues out on time,

On the fourth day of the Apocalypse will Aphelion give to me...More posting members,
Writers with fresh works,
Issues out on time,

On the fifth day of the Apocalypse will Aphelion give to me..."Spammers" burn-in-hell,
More posting folks,
New fresh works,
Issues out on time,
(Crescendo) And an up-to-date spam filter soft-ware.

The End (Oh, I hope not!)

Editor Emeritus

Post December 31, 2012, 01:47:35 AM

Re: cyber war

With some missing data and just going on impressions, I think the attacks are getting faster/more numerous.

It used to just be once every couple of weeks. Now I can't even visit to check posts without seeing some spam.

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 31, 2012, 12:26:15 PM

TaoPhoenix wrote:With some missing data and just going on impressions, I think the attacks are getting faster/more numerous.

It used to just be once every couple of weeks. Now I can't even visit to check posts without seeing some spam.

Yeah . . . we saw the run-up to Christmas with all the clothes and shoes, and then just after that, we see the big flurry of e-cig ads for those whose New Year's resolution was to quit smoking. How convenient. I guess e-commerce just keeps on growing.

And, three cheers for Robert Moriyama, who's back in the game, kickin' spam and deletin' names! Go, Robert!
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post December 31, 2012, 11:43:16 PM

I am afraid if we don't put an end to the spam garbage, we are going to lose members to the point that Aphelion will cease to exist. This is my online family and I don't want to see that happen.

If it wasn't for our frontline defense spam warriors, it probably would have already happen.

Master Critic

Post December 31, 2012, 11:46:01 PM

One additional point, it's crazy we are putting up with this garbage, when they're solutions that we have already thought of and other forum sites, who have solved the problem like "Poetry Circle" whose link I have already posted within this thread.

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 01, 2013, 12:30:48 AM

Mark Edgemon wrote:I am afraid if we don't put an end to the spam garbage, we are going to lose members to the point that Aphelion will cease to exist. This is my online family and I don't want to see that happen.

If it wasn't for our frontline defense spam warriors, it probably would have already happen.

Cheer up, Mark -- we're not losing members, we're gaining them. That big change in the number at the bottom of the index page -- that was me, trying something I hadn't tried before. I just pulled up the 'Prune users' utility, typed a zero into the Post Count box and hit 'submit' -- and there was a big list. I went through and trimmed it by about half; took out all the obvious garbage.

Master Critic

Post January 01, 2013, 08:25:46 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:
Mark Edgemon wrote:I am afraid if we don't put an end to the spam garbage, we are going to lose members to the point that Aphelion will cease to exist. This is my online family and I don't want to see that happen.

Cheer up, Mark -- we're not losing members, we're gaining them. That big change in the number at the bottom of the index page -- that was me, trying something I hadn't tried before. I just pulled up the 'Prune users' utility, typed a zero into the Post Count box and hit 'submit' -- and there was a big list. I went through and trimmed it by about half; took out all the obvious garbage.

I'm so glad you did that! Those usernames were not truly members if they had no posts for over 30 days. With as much brain power and resources we all have here at our disposal, this spam problem should be a memory.

But thank you for all that work!

Senior Critic

Post January 01, 2013, 12:12:34 PM

I'll add my kudos to all you tireless spam fighters. As a total cyberdummy, I regret having no significant contributions. Death to all spammers.

gino

Long Fiction Editor

Post January 01, 2013, 12:54:37 PM

gino_ss wrote:I'll add my kudos to all you tireless spam fighters. As a total cyberdummy, I regret having no significant contributions. Death to all spammers.

gino

Yeah -- check out what Robert did this morning --
rm.jpg
rm.jpg (252.17 KiB) Viewed 1597 times

Rock 'n' roll!

Master Critic

Post January 02, 2013, 10:07:25 AM

Well, another week of keyboard to keyboard combat.

Lester should be promoted to 3 Star general in this !

BTW Mark your Mayan last days poem/song was fantastic . I should have said something sooner.

RT
Previous

Return to December 2012