Thoughts on Writing #44: I Don't Gotta Like You To Love You

Tell us what you thought about the December 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Long Fiction Editor

Post December 21, 2012, 05:40:41 PM

Thoughts on Writing #44: I Don't Gotta Like You To Love You

Tao, you missed one. This one.

My own comment: I have to admit that I feel a little apprehension sometimes about what my characters get to do on the page, just because I fear that someone may think that I, personally, would also be inclined to do such things. I then have to decide how brave I want to be in letting my characters express their natures.

Seanann seems to be advising us to be brave in this regard. This, I think, is asking us to be confident in ourselves, and to be prepared to answer those who would compare us (unfavorably) to our characters.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post December 21, 2012, 06:05:01 PM

Having Character

Lester Curtis wrote:Tao, you missed one. This one.

My own comment: I have to admit that I feel a little apprehension sometimes about what my characters get to do on the page, just because I fear that someone may think that I, personally, would also be inclined to do such things. I then have to decide how brave I want to be in letting my characters express their natures.

Seanann seems to be advising us to be brave in this regard. This, I think, is asking us to be confident in ourselves, and to be prepared to answer those who would compare us (unfavorably) to our characters.

That has been a hold back for me.

A writer must have the freedom to create outside of their personality and or their ethical standards, however the author feels personally.

Editor Emeritus

Post December 21, 2012, 08:41:00 PM

Re: Thoughts on Writing #44: I Don't Gotta Like You To Love

Lester Curtis wrote:Tao, you missed one. This one.

P.S. Lester, I only Header-Topic-ed the Stories, since those were the ones specifically listed as on the Endangered Species. I let y'all handle the poetry and I might have commented on the writing article 50% of the time.

Editor Emeritus

Post December 21, 2012, 08:43:13 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:My own comment: I have to admit that I feel a little apprehension sometimes about what my characters get to do on the page, just because I fear that someone may think that I, personally, would also be inclined to do such things. I then have to decide how brave I want to be in letting my characters express their natures.

I'm not so sure, I have my share of dark thoughts running around in my mind, and sometimes you just can't easily write them all the way out, not at R++ for suggestive scenery. If you pass a line, "attack the author" DOES set in. You and I had a variant of that discussion a while back.

Editor Emeritus

Post December 23, 2012, 03:30:55 PM

"A lot of people assume that when a writer tells a story, we're actually writing thinly-veiled self-insertion fanfic about ourselves. That, at the end of the day, we really want to be our characters. I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but, well...bullshit. I do not want to be any of my characters."

Except, a lot of writers *do* do that, though sometimes not poorly as "fanfic" would lead you to believe. It's the other half of "write what you know".

Return to December 2012