Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon


Tell us what you thought about the October 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2503

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Mass, USA

Post November 06, 2012, 02:43:34 PM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

I'm just smiling watching this spur of the moment interplay between Mark and R. Lipinski. Have fun, guys. : )

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 06, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Cryptic Keeper

Cryptic Keeper
By Mark Edgemon

The unknown is still unknown,
After a dissertation of knowledge has been disseminated;
Eliminated and understanding; terminated; dissipated.
Hope of acquired knowledge remains unfullfilled,
To be deciphered by fools who,
Would not obey or consider rich wisdom,
Even if they could extract its pearls.

But the gleeful will not be denied.
The outer shell still between their teeth,
They smile in pride, howbeit a toothless grin.

The End

Master Critic

Posts: 1193

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post November 07, 2012, 01:03:31 AM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

-------------------------------------------------------------\
|= I cannot talk at the moment; trapped in a box===|
| =some say, 'writers block' others just don't know==|
|= the box, the box is the writers friend.==========|
|=knowing, that's the secret, knowing you are in====|
|=flaps folded, surrounded by words, trapped=======|
|=tape wrapped tight, and when all is lost==========|
|=words winning, thinking of failure and success====|
|=the muse, grinning, tapping tunes==============|
|=you are beginning to understand the rhythm======|
|=in the middle surrounded: bubble wrap, paper,====|
|= the 'eye', the storm of the center, you become====|
|=what only I can be>>><<<you/me>>><<<free======|
--------------------------------------------------------------/

Mark,
in my opinion, you're getting 'better'
and soon without even trying
this 'thing' of writing
this 'addiction' of which there is no cure,
you will write without bounds,
and become a slave to its freedom...

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 07, 2012, 01:16:18 AM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Lipinski wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------\
|= I cannot talk at the moment; trapped in a box===|
| =some say, 'writers block' others just don't know==|
|= the box, the box is the writers friend.==========|
|=knowing, that's the secret, knowing you are in====|
|=flaps folded, surrounded by words, trapped=======|
|=tape wrapped tight, and when all is lost==========|
|=words winning, thinking of failure and success====|
|=the muse, grinning, tapping tunes==============|
|=you are beginning to understand the rhythm======|
|=in the middle surrounded: bubble wrap, paper,====|
|= the 'eye', the storm of the center, you become====|
|=what only I can be>>><<<you/me>>><<<free======|
--------------------------------------------------------------/

Mark,
in my opinion, you're getting 'better'
and soon without even trying
this 'thing' of writing
this 'addiction' of which there is no cure,
you will write without bounds,
and become a slave to its freedom...

Using the last 3 poems in this topic as a baseline reference, what am I lacking to be unbound? I don't want to be in a box, but unless I can see outside of it, I cannot write outside the box. You be my eyes and ears, what do you see and hear that I need to know.

I will say this, that as of the last 2 poems, I've begun to know joy in writing - for the first time - and I wasn't even holding my breath as I wrote.

And what about a writer not measuring their work by success and failure?

Master Critic

Posts: 1193

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post November 07, 2012, 02:00:04 AM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

(one of my rare moments)

Mark, don't worry about your writing and for sure, don't ask questions.
You and many other writers, (to include, 'all') do not need any mentors, teachers, advice,
torture, rewards, or any other 'word'.

Words have become humanities master and humanity will always have a master be it religion, words, physical pleasure, money;
the trick is to know it and know words are sneaky bastards that have way too much power if we allow it.

For a writer, therein lays the power to force the master (words) to continue to think it is the master but actually that the human emotion controls the word. Sort of like a wife of a president pulling strings.

Your works and the work of every writer I've read is great just the way it is as the writer is comfortable with what they wrote or else they would not have written it. If they write and say they are not happy with it then they have let the words control the emotion and the human side.

As you can see, I'm currently letting those bastard words try and control me so I better switch back to emotion soon, but before I go, you and every other writer out there will be 'bound', 'constrained', 'unhappy', with what they write and will always want more but will never get it because the words know this. As I said, there is no such thing as writers block, just a battle between human emotion and words.

Mark, let your emotions control your writing. Don't give a rats ass if anyone likes it, not even you. And if they or you like it then while that satisfies the ego, don't give a rats ass about that either. Be whatever kind of poet, author, best seller, person you wish. Don't go to writing seminars, ask guru's on top of a mountain, read 'how to' books, or ask questions, just DO. BE. WRITE. and and and (struggling with those f-ing words.) Now if you or other writers want to fall prey to flattery of others or if you find another's critique of your work to be beneficial, that means the emotion of their words are stronger than yours and you can choose them to be another in the long list of masters. Some will say I'm full of bullshit, others will have fallen asleep by now, and others think I need my meds, but success is not measured in money, flattery, or anything else as success cannot be measured, period. Let those slaves in the future decide if your writing is 'good' or 'bad', as for me, I could give one big, hairy, hemorrhoid, polyp, covered rats-ass what they think, will think, or are capable of thinking, I only know I'm addicted to writing and hate the power words have over me. My only revenge is for my emotion to make them do my bidding.
Gotta go back to my world.

A Writer

written below by candle
flickering light of melted wax
the monk puts down the word
letter by letter
line by line
blowing on the ink
never to speak the word of man again
a vow
a vow of silence
when finished with his work,
he holds the parchment to the light
feeling in his mind while inner reciting of the daily prayer
for His approval
and with eternity to be
Gods seal.

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 07, 2012, 02:26:58 AM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Lipinski wrote:(one of my rare moments)

Mark, don't worry about your writing and for sure, don't ask questions.
You and many other writers, (to include, 'all') do not need any mentors, teachers, advice,
torture, rewards, or any other 'word'.

Words have become humanities master and humanity will always have a master be it religion, words, physical pleasure, money;
the trick is to know it and know words are sneaky bastards that have way too much power if we allow it.

For a writer, therein lays the power to force the master (words) to continue to think it is the master but actually that the human emotion controls the word. Sort of like a wife of a president pulling strings.

Your works and the work of every writer I've read is great just the way it is as the writer is comfortable with what they wrote or else they would not have written it. If they write and say they are not happy with it then they have let the words control the emotion and the human side.

As you can see, I'm currently letting those bastard words try and control me so I better switch back to emotion soon, but before I go, you and every other writer out there will be 'bound', 'constrained', 'unhappy', with what they write and will always want more but will never get it because the words know this. As I said, there is no such thing as writers block, just a battle between human emotion and words.

Mark, let your emotions control your writing. Don't give a rats ass if anyone likes it, not even you. And if they or you like it then while that satisfies the ego, don't give a rats ass about that either. Be whatever kind of poet, author, best seller, person you wish. Don't go to writing seminars, ask guru's on top of a mountain, read 'how to' books, or ask questions, just DO. BE. WRITE. and and and (struggling with those f-ing words.) Now if you or other writers want to fall prey to flattery of others or if you find another's critique of your work to be beneficial, that means the emotion of their words are stronger than yours and you can choose them to be another in the long list of masters. Some will say I'm full of bullshit, others will have fallen asleep by now, and others think I need my meds, but success is not measured in money, flattery, or anything else as success cannot be measured, period. Let those slaves in the future decide if your writing is 'good' or 'bad', as for me, I could give one big, hairy, hemorrhoid, polyp, covered rats-ass what they think, will think, or are capable of thinking, I only know I'm addicted to writing and hate the power words have over me. My only revenge is for my emotion to make them do my bidding.
Gotta go back to my world.

A Writer

written below by candle
flickering light of melted wax
the monk puts down the word
letter by letter
line by line
blowing on the ink
never to speak the word of man again
a vow
a vow of silence
when finished with his work,
he holds the parchment to the light
feeling in his mind while inner reciting of the daily prayer
for His approval
and with eternity to be
Gods seal.

I'm touched and I hear you! So, emotions must control the words. Wow, I get it! Now I will go and do it. Thank you my friend, for the help and the hand up.

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 07, 2012, 06:21:20 PM

Premise

So I need to fill my fountain pen with emotion instead of ink. All words used to explain are dead weight! Is that about it, Robin?
User avatar

Poetry Editor

Posts: 519

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Emerald City, Oz

Post November 07, 2012, 06:26:48 PM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Adding my $0.02, Mark:

In my humble opinion, you are trying too hard. I find my best work comes when I stop trying to be a 'good' writer, and just WRITE. Go with the flow. Follow where the thought, the emotion, the image takes you. Don't stop and critique every line; get it all down, then go back and tweak. When I write poetry, I find using good old fashioned pen and paper better - and by the end my page looks like chickens have gone to war, what with crossings-out, arrows showing that *this* bit goes *there*, and so on. You will probably never be satisfied with anything you write. Accept this and write anyway.
KNEEL before Zod!
User avatar

Poetry Editor

Posts: 519

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Emerald City, Oz

Post November 07, 2012, 06:27:35 PM

Re: Premise

Mark Edgemon wrote:So I need to fill my fountain pen with emotion instead of ink. All words used to explain are dead weight! Is that about it, Robin?

I write in pencil, or yeah, with a fountain pen :)
KNEEL before Zod!

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 07, 2012, 06:35:27 PM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Wormtongue wrote:Adding my $0.02, Mark:

In my humble opinion, you are trying too hard. I find my best work comes when I stop trying to be a 'good' writer, and just WRITE. Go with the flow. Follow where the thought, the emotion, the image takes you. Don't stop and critique every line; get it all down, then go back and tweak. When I write poetry, I find using good old fashioned pen and paper better - and by the end my page looks like chickens have gone to war, what with crossings-out, arrows showing that *this* bit goes *there*, and so on. You will probably never be satisfied with anything you write. Accept this and write anyway.

Write it all down and THEN review/edit. That's probably what is wrong. There are so many rules in writing and retaining them in my mind as I write causes me to forget much of the original inspiration. Get it all down and then perfect it. Okay, I'll try that tonight and see if I can get something finished and post it using that method. A self imposed deadline helps serious me up.

Thank you very much!

Master Critic

Posts: 1193

Joined: June 05, 2011, 02:05:03 AM

Post November 09, 2012, 01:39:54 PM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Yes Mark, fill it with emotion.
fill it with air or dreams
or just throw the pencil and pen away and write with what sets humans apart from other animals
the soul.

Wormtongue's .02 is well spent.

Senior Critic

Posts: 263

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: California

Post November 11, 2012, 12:19:59 PM

Re: Damn Near Perfect! by Mark Edgemon

Not to worry. The ultimate or almost perfect evil has been predicted to arrive on Dec. 21 by the Mayans.

gino

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post November 11, 2012, 12:49:58 PM

The Ultimate

gino_ss wrote:Not to worry. The ultimate or almost perfect evil has been predicted to arrive on Dec. 21 by the Mayans.

gino

I think they were referring to my next manuscript!
Previous

Return to October 2012

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.