Ten days...

Tell us what you thought about the October 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post October 30, 2012, 09:28:13 AM

Ten days...

And not a single comment on a fiction piece.

Consider this a hostage taking. No comments, no November issue. There is no reason I (or McCamy, or the contributing authors) should waste our time if there is no evidence that anybody is even reading the short stories and long fiction. (And Hurricane Sandy wasn't an excuse before yesterday.)

:x
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Critic

Post October 30, 2012, 09:29:40 AM

Re: Ten days...

Robert_Moriyama wrote:And not a single comment on a fiction piece.

Consider this a hostage taking. No comments, no November issue. There is no reason I (or McCamy, or the contributing authors) should waste our time if there is no evidence that anybody is even reading the short stories and long fiction. (And Hurricane Sandy wasn't an excuse before yesterday.)

Quilty - read them all and then... completely forgot to write any comments.

Doh!
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 30, 2012, 11:57:08 AM

Hey, I read one last night -- almost. Nearly finished it when the lights went out.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 30, 2012, 12:41:36 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:Hey, I read one last night -- almost. Nearly finished it when the lights went out.

And on the preceding 9 days?

Jack London (1876-1916)

Long Fiction Editor

Post October 30, 2012, 02:28:39 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:Hey, I read one last night -- almost. Nearly finished it when the lights went out.

I was doin' other stuff. I don't remember what, but it must have been important at the time. :oops:

But don't stick it all on me, pal, the whole readership is equally guilty. Made me wonder, too. I suspect the election season is partly responsible. >:D
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Editor Emeritus

Post October 30, 2012, 02:56:12 PM

Lester Curtis wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote:

I was doin' other stuff. I don't remember what, but it must have been important at the time. :oops:

But don't stick it all on me, pal, the whole readership is equally guilty. Made me wonder, too. I suspect the election season is partly responsible. >:D

True -- both Republicans and Democrats have been publishing a lot of fantasy and horror lately (with GOP productivity somewhat higher).

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post October 30, 2012, 03:18:56 PM

maybe we like them and have nothing to say,

or

maybe we don't and don't want to insult,

or

maybe family issues have come up that make reading and intelligent commentary mutually exclusive.

or

maybe we like poetry better,

or

maybe we like bashing each other on the fun and games sector,

or,

maybe, just maybe the normal working crowd is actually busy trying to make ends meet, and haven't had the time to spend, or the energy to properly read and think about what has been written, never mind smart and intelligent commentary.

Just maybe.

RT

Editor Emeritus

Post October 30, 2012, 03:53:02 PM

rick tornello wrote:maybe we like them and have nothing to say,

or

maybe we don't and don't want to insult,

or

maybe family issues have come up that make reading and intelligent commentary mutually exclusive.

or

maybe we like poetry better,

or

maybe we like bashing each other on the fun and games sector,

or,

maybe, just maybe the normal working crowd is actually busy trying to make ends meet, and haven't had the time to spend, or the energy to properly read and think about what has been written, never mind smart and intelligent commentary.

Just maybe.

RT

Cry me a river. To line edit and prep a story takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, times 10 (or 8, this month). Maybe I shouldn't bother.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post October 30, 2012, 04:52:29 PM

Robert Wrote after a lengthy comment:
Cry me a river. To line edit and prep a story takes me anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, times 10 (or 8, this month).

Wasn't trying to be snide, or sarcastic, just putting it out there as a maybe. We all do this as a labor of love we write, comment and some also edit, maintain the site and all that.

Were I technical, or if I had decent grammar skills I would offer assistance. But, I'm not, and I don't, in that order.

Deep apologies for the insult.

RT

Commenter

Post October 31, 2012, 12:40:53 AM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:And not a single comment on a fiction piece.

I hardly have the confidence to submit stories for others to read! I have even less when it comes to commenting or critiquing others.

I do understand where there could be some animosity though. I mean, I couldn't imagine sifting through countless submissions, reading them, editing them and then giving feedback on them. Setting the issue up only to see all that hard work ignored. It takes work and I understand that, but please don't hostage take the November issue! I'll comment on every single piece of fiction in it, twelve times for twelve days at twelve p.m if I have to!

Commenter

Post November 07, 2012, 04:55:04 PM

I'm reading them. :mrgreen: Pinky finger promise.
Check out my writer's blog: http://gary_feather1.livejournal.com
Check out my Tales of East Asia blog:
http://www.garywfeather.blogspot.com

Poetry Editor

Post November 07, 2012, 06:30:31 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote wrote:- both Republicans and Democrats have been publishing a lot of fantasy and horror lately (with GOP productivity somewhat higher).

And let us not forget the high comedy - although most of that was unintentional. "I've only written one speech!" ;D >:D
KNEEL before Zod!

Editor Emeritus

Post November 07, 2012, 06:53:32 PM

Robert_Moriyama wrote:Maybe I shouldn't bother.

Naw, I don't want to see us go down that road, it feels like the beginning of the end.

So I guess we're back at the Ebb side of Ebb and Flow. Small Group Dynamics and all that. At least I posted some notes by now a few days ago. I'll try to keep up better now for future episodes.

Has anyone done any studies? Are we down to some 25 "regulars" for forum posters? Then if each of those 25 gets wrapped up in something the dynamic crashes.

How do we feel about "Placeholder" forum entries that blocks out the issue so that everything is "there in front of your eyes"? With the traditional "random order" that topics show up for me it's hard to see when the second half of the issue gets missed. So for example I or someone would just bang out "shell" threads with no text in them, just to get the whole issue on the board, and then people can chip in with the comments.

Bonus question: Should the authors be commenting on their own stories? Do we know if half/most of the authors read the comments?

Edit: Just to take any kind of decisive action, I'll post some shell topics, and if that makes the Editorioso grumpy I won't do it again, but it we've already seen the deafening silence angle. I picked up an experimental freeware program recently that might help.

Edit: So if I did that right, all stories are accounted for.

Return to October 2012