Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis


Tell us what you thought of the September 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2528

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Mass, USA

Post September 20, 2012, 03:41:17 PM

Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Just as a thread starter, before reading the story, this sounds like an awesome business model!

"Thank you for calling LilyPad, what child would you like to get out of your hair for a week?" :D

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 138

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post September 20, 2012, 05:14:16 PM

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Well written, spooky story with a novel premise. The narrator's world is so claustrophobic, I found myself looking forward to his plan even though I knew rationally that it was crazy.
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2379

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post September 20, 2012, 07:01:34 PM

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

McCamy_Taylor wrote:Well written, spooky story with a novel premise. The narrator's world is so claustrophobic, I found myself looking forward to his plan even though I knew rationally that it was crazy.


There were no overtly 'genre' elements in this one, but I figured it qualified as existential horror -- a compelling look through the eyes of someone so sick of his life that insane acts seem reasonable -- even kind...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
User avatar

Long Fiction Editor

Posts: 2662

Joined: January 11, 2010, 12:03:56 AM

Location: by the time you read this, I'll be somewhere else

Post September 25, 2012, 10:06:40 PM

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2379

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post September 25, 2012, 10:35:13 PM

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Lester Curtis wrote:Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.


And if that caught your eye, did you wonder why "jesus" was the only proper name not capitalized? Discuss.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
User avatar

Long Fiction Editor

Posts: 2662

Joined: January 11, 2010, 12:03:56 AM

Location: by the time you read this, I'll be somewhere else

Post September 25, 2012, 11:56:22 PM

Re: Please Don't Cut the Rope, Mister! by Peter Adamakakis

Robert_Moriyama wrote:
Lester Curtis wrote:Grim tale . . . and with no happily ever after. Very well done, as depressing as it is. I liked the repeating theme about the blues. Just can't figure out why the author chose not to capitalize the the word "I," although, in context, it seems fitting.


And if that caught your eye, did you wonder why "jesus" was the only proper name not capitalized? Discuss.

Well, I'm certain the "I" was deliberate, because he did capitalize it when it was the first word in a sentence.

Maybe just another subtle way of making a statement about the narrator's life?
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to September 2012

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.