Unmarked by the Malachim by McCamy Taylor

Tell us what you thought of the September 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post September 20, 2012, 10:20:13 AM

Unmarked by the Malachim by McCamy Taylor

The Malochim or Malukhim ("Malachim" in modern Hebrew pronunciation) (Hebrew: מלאכים‎, lit. "angels") is a small Hasidic group with strong Monsey and Williamsburg connections. It adheres to the Chabad school of Hasidic thought which emphasizes in-depth Torah study, uses the Chabad nusach of prayer, and focuses on the study of Hasidic mysticism.

Very good story, I loved it and sort of goes with the poem

Catechism
by John M. Marshall

Thanks, both of you.

RT

Long Fiction Editor

Post September 20, 2012, 11:59:08 PM

Re: Unmarked by the Malachim by McCamy Taylor

Exceeding strange, this one . . . a large dose of the incomprehensible -- and another reminder of why we keep McCamy around. :wink:

It's striking, how the characterization is so indirect, and yet so positive. Are the characters described anywhere? Not much, but they seem real . . .

The richness of the descriptive language is amazing. Stuff like,
She offers me a banana. It tastes of moonlight and the first word spoken by the first human millions of years ago and the rain that will fall next week.

It's all closer to poetry than prose.

Very strange. Very pretty.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2012, 01:23:06 AM

Lester Curtis wrote:Exceeding strange, this one . . . a large dose of the incomprehensible -- and another reminder of why we keep McCamy around. :wink:

It's striking, how the characterization is so indirect, and yet so positive. Are the characters described anywhere? Not much, but they seem real . . .

The richness of the descriptive language is amazing. Stuff like,
She offers me a banana. It tastes of moonlight and the first word spoken by the first human millions of years ago and the rain that will fall next week.

It's all closer to poetry than prose.

Very strange. Very pretty.

Pretty is as pretty does! :oops:

Critic

Post September 21, 2012, 05:32:00 AM

Liked this. McCamy's work always flows.

I enjoyed the whimsical, prose-like description of the other world. It brought across the dream quality of being able to see time in a non-linear way.

Which brings me to the only two, logical, criticisms I could make:

1) If the special ones can see all of time, both forward and backwards, then Peerless should have seen his own future or at least the true events when the chosen were taken in the past (and I presume became one with the Malachim). Of course, the string theory, multi-verse approach to time (or 'the other trouser leg of time' if you're a Pratchett fan) would mean that perhaps, of all the infinitely possible futures the chance of seeing the exact future was not possible until the probability wave-form collapsed by opening the box and seeing if the cat was alive or dead. That sentence makes less sense than it did in my head.

2) Why didn't Peerless escape into the 'other world' when the men with baseball bats came? He seemed aware of them and there intent (first person narration) and didn't seem particularly suicidal.

:?:
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Return to September 2012