Editorial

Tell us what you thought of the September 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post September 20, 2012, 01:47:56 AM

Editorial

Dan, that month off might just be the thing you need to really get some of those projects done! Precisely because it is a known entity might help you to block it out a bit.

I've been unemployed for a few months now, by now the basic shock is gone, but "work" has just been replaced by sending resumes off into the black hole of job listings on Monster. I wish I could get some project stuff done but my focus is wrecked lately.

Senior Editor

Post September 21, 2012, 11:40:57 AM

Re: Editorial

TaoPhoenix wrote:Dan, that month off might just be the thing you need to really get some of those projects done! Precisely because it is a known entity might help you to block it out a bit...

I agree. And because I know up front that it is only a temporary thing, it'll be far less stressful than other people have been facing recently. Yardwork, housework, writing, crafting - And I'll have time to get something finished! Having so many unfinished projects paused for lack of time has been quite depressing. So much to do, and limited time to devote to each thing, leads to frustration. For me, frustration leads to being angry with myself. It spirals downward from there. However, I'm choosing to look at this layoff as an opportunity rather than a handicap.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post September 21, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

Vila wrote:...Having so many unfinished projects paused for lack of time has been quite depressing. So much to do, and limited time to devote to each thing, leads to frustration. For me, frustration leads to being angry with myself. It spirals downward from there. However, I'm choosing to look at this layoff as an opportunity rather than a handicap.

Dan

It IS depressing to have too many areas of unfinished business. I haven't had enough time to be creative, except for insulting spammers and it does take a toll on a person's outlook. I hope we all three can fill in a lot of the blanks.

Senior Editor

Post September 22, 2012, 03:20:50 AM

I got down to the wire on my new Nightwatch story tonight. One good day, or three average days of writing and I'll have a draft 0 to send to Jeff Williams. However, this is a murder mystery and I'm concerned tat it is too easy. too simple. I need Kate Thornton to read and critique it as a mystery before I send it to Jeff. I need to know if I screwed it up, and where, before Jeff continuity edits it for the Nightwatch universe. It either works as a mystery, or it falls on its face and makes Jeff & Bob look bad.

Nightwatch is important. The only Aphelion series more important to me than Nightwatch is the Mare Inebrium. And any Mare contributing writer can tell you how much of an asshole I can be about Mare continuity. Jeff, Wishbone, Bill Wolfe, Nate, Rob Wynne, Sergio, Kate, and Jim Parnell can tell you what an absolute prick I can be over Mare Inebrium continuity. I want my Nightwatch stories to be as good as my Mare stories. Jeff and Bob aren't easy to please.
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Editor Emeritus

Post September 22, 2012, 10:44:51 PM

Re: Coninuity

Isn't Continuity something we wish more Writers and Editors/Producers would work hard on? Star Trek has a grand tradition of continuity goofs, with comics probably not far behind. (P.S. If you have an hour to burn, play on TV Tropes!)

If memory serves, wasn't one of Babylon 5's heralded aspects, the attention to detail and the coherent series plan was nearly a masterpiece. (And even that was partly due to a possible business threat of losing the fifth season at one point.)

Return to September 2012