Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Tells us what you thought about the August 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Editor Emeritus

Post August 24, 2012, 02:00:04 PM

Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Ah, c'mon -- didn't anybody read this? It's a ghost story, sort of, a cloning story, sort of, a cute dog story, sort of -- it's a Sergio Palumbo, with that distinctive Italian flavor. Bill Wolfe, if you're out there and able to read and type, I'm sure you'll have a few choice things to say about the science in this one...

Read. Learn the true nature of (hu)man's best friend, loyal until the end and beyond (spoiler).
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 24, 2012, 05:33:20 PM

Re: Metaphase... by Sergio Palumbo

Damn, I'd plumb forgot about this one.

On an emotional level, it works okay, but -- the (un)scientific premise of it was too much to swallow. Memories are the result of experience, not genetics.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Master Critic

Post August 28, 2012, 08:19:01 AM

Maybe in the future dogs will be genetically programmed to love one human - perhaps through attraction to their smell or phermones - because the author does say "Perhaps he even smelled him" ...well, anyways, I thought it was a cute story.
Sergio usually writes about creatures eating up humans, and he tells that story very well, so I was happy to see this more casual story published.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post August 28, 2012, 11:00:19 AM

I've got to say this about Sergio, he IS persistent in his story writing...a trait I happen to admire!

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 28, 2012, 11:50:39 AM

Mark Edgemon wrote:I've got to say this about Sergio, he IS persistent in his story writing...a trait I happen to admire!

Yeah . . . give him a topic and go have a sandwich, and when you get back, he's got a story up . . . that, along with his model-making and traveling to shows and such -- and a day job, too. I look positively glacial by comparison.

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2012, 03:55:28 AM

Sorry if I didn't have a look at this thread before, while being in Austria on holidays with no long lasting internet connection...eh,eh, anyway just one thing.Actually Lester Curtis with his statement just made me have an interesting new idea about cloning...eh,eh

By the way, it's true that the cloning, as we do know it now, just think of Dolly, actually it's meant as recreating again the same individual/animal by starting from the conceiving...but what if in the future humans( or aliens already at present...eh,eh) can clone somebody just as he is now, so our experiences and memories, as cloned in the copy, are just the same we have today, as our brain/neuronal paths are our memories ( and the way we really are...), so no need to live again the same life or have the same experiences in order to get the same memories, if the same neuronal paths are made identical to the ones they copy, then the adult individual who comes out of the cloning process just starts at the same age of the original one and he just thinks and remembers the same things that the first one does...maybe, his muscles could be slow or his reflexes and the overall bearing would look weird at first of course, but his mind would be exactly the same, this is just Science Fiction by now, the same than getting to the Moon one day was to the Ancient Greeks anyway... :D

And that puts some interesting questions ahead of us, as when the clone dies the relatives just...eh,eh...but that's just a part of my new idea on the way...eh,eh :D

Yeah . . . give him a topic and go have a sandwich, and when you get back, he's got a story up . . . that, along with his model-making and traveling to shows and such --

Eh,eh...very amusing, and don't forget RolePlayGames sessions, Wargames Tournaments and Medieval Reenacting...eh,eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, not much time to write down something this months cause of a lot of holidays in a row soon...after Austria, there will be soon Switzerland, then England, then finally U.S.A. and Canada, of course...eh,eh :D

Critic

Post August 30, 2012, 05:24:10 AM

I seem to remember a story of a similar vein, where cloning is certainly feasible, and celebrities have to protect their DNA to stop unscrupulous people creating illegal clones for various nefarious purposes (usually the icky ones).
Doggerel is a derogatory term for verse considered of little literary value.

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2012, 08:08:51 AM

And call me crazy (okay Michele you're crazy) but I think about people from the future coming back to collect DNA of current day famous people so they can clone them in the future. I try not to leave my DNA just laying around - OCD, not just for Celebritys anymore.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2012, 08:31:32 AM

but I think about people from the future coming back to collect DNA of current day famous people

That's exactly what is going to happen in the next fifty/eighty years, be human - once reached...well, maybe it has already been reached somewhere in North Korea or in old icy Russia, who knows...eh,eh--- cloning legal or illegal, someone just will find the way to sell some precious DNA (just taken from hair or nails...) of some actress who stayed in a hotel for a weekend, for example, so that some rich men are able to have their own personal wondrous Britney Spears/Tricia Helfer/ Rhianna (or the likes) clones, for their unknown, secret (and better not to be mentioned here) purposes...eh,eh ::) :lol: :lol:

It's going to be a really hard time for the vips out there, or better for their clones-to-be anyway...eh,eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Long Fiction Editor

Post August 30, 2012, 12:03:49 PM

I still have a problem with the concept . . . clone the person just as they are, but they still have to be grown from a fetus, right? And adult memories -- neuronal paths, as you say -- still won't develop the way you like. Those neuronal paths weren't developed in the adult because of its DNA, they were developed because of its experience.

It's like cloning an adult who broke his arm when he was a teenager. The fetus won't develop with a broken arm.

Sorry. And, wasn't there an old movie about this? The Boys from Brazil, or something?

Master Critic

Post August 30, 2012, 12:57:44 PM

Great Performances!

Lester Curtis wrote:...And, wasn't there an old movie about this? The Boys from Brazil, or something?

Ah, a wonderful, top flight movie! An unbelievable performance from Gregory Peck and Laurance Olivier. You know, many of the actors who worked with Olivier, gave the best performance of their careers. Joan Fontaine in Rebecca for another!

Master Critic

Post September 04, 2012, 02:58:04 AM

but they still have to be grown from a fetus, right?

Not necessarily, at least, some other kind of technology could be developed ( or could be used by aliens...) in the future by humans...just think of that famous Sci-Fi movie with Schwarzenegger and the cloning of his dog ( and of those evil CEOs that looked already adult...)...eh,eh :D :D

The Boys from Brazil, or something?

Wasn't that movie based on a true story...eh,eh? :shock: :lol: :lol: Just jesting of course, but we could have somewhere in the world someone trying to clone some Saddam-copy, Gheddafi-copy and so on, the dictators out there to be copied ( in somebody's evil mind ) are really a lot...and someone is going to be added soon to that Inglorious Hall of Fame of the Evil Dead...certainly...eh,eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to August 2012