The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler


Tell us what you thought about the June 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Posts: 154

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post June 21, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

I'm usuall not quite sure what to call the litte pieces of text Aphelion provides about each story. In this case however I'd call it a spoiler, as it contains some information the story itself only tells towards the end. My perception at least was severely influenced by that knowledge I'm certain I was not meant to have had. So if you have a chance I'd suggest to try not to read that little paragraph.
User avatar

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 2379

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post June 21, 2012, 08:35:03 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

vates wrote:I'm usuall not quite sure what to call the litte pieces of text Aphelion provides about each story. In this case however I'd call it a spoiler, as it contains some information the story itself only tells towards the end. My perception at least was severely influenced by that knowledge I'm certain I was not meant to have had. So if you have a chance I'd suggest to try not to read that little paragraph.


The original blurb was even longer...
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)
User avatar

Commenter

Posts: 24

Joined: May 07, 2010, 06:47:21 AM

Post June 22, 2012, 10:28:35 AM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/serials/2012/06/TheTreaty.html

The story sustains the reader's interest by building suspense and heightening the drama, but ultimately leaves him sick and disappointed. The experience is not one this reader would be eager to repeat.

Zorro is hopeful that R.S.C. Cutler will not get into the habit of writing unhappy endings simply because he is not clever enough to get the heroine out of the fix he was clever enough to get her into.

It is not impossible to write a thoroughly satisfactory unhappy ending, but it is very hard.
:x

Editor Emeritus

Posts: 138

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post June 23, 2012, 07:37:10 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

The title tells you everything you need to guess the ending. I suppose a title change to something like "Abducted!" would keep the suspense. However, knowing where the story was going did not make it any less interesting.

Critic

Posts: 154

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post June 26, 2012, 01:10:13 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

Robert_Moriyama wrote:The original blurb was even longer...

You know, it's not exactly size that matters.
But since McCamy Taylor could foretell the ending from the title alone, I have not much of a case left.

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post June 26, 2012, 09:47:05 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

vates wrote:
Robert_Moriyama wrote:The original blurb was even longer...

You know, it's not exactly size that matters.
But since McCamy Taylor could foretell the ending from the title alone, I have not much of a case left.

Yes, but Robert has nothing to do with the story's title.

Sometimes the reader can correctly guess where an author is going and sometimes there are twists and turns with surprises!

If I enjoy something, I may read, watch or listen to it repeatedly.

Critic

Posts: 154

Joined: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM

Post June 27, 2012, 12:37:09 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

Mark Edgemon wrote:Yes, but Robert has nothing to do with the story's title.

I believe I just said that. -to quote one of my childhood heroes.

Master Critic

Posts: 3595

Joined: September 17, 2008, 10:10:20 PM

Post June 27, 2012, 12:50:01 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

vates wrote:
Mark Edgemon wrote:Yes, but Robert has nothing to do with the story's title.

I believe I just said that. -to quote one of my childhood heroes.

Ahhhh, "...not much of a case left..." means you were wrong in your assumption, instead of McCamy has proved your point. Written language can now and again bury intent with words.

"Sorry about that chief!" - to quote one of my childhood heros. :wink:
User avatar

Long Fiction Editor

Posts: 2681

Joined: January 11, 2010, 12:03:56 AM

Location: by the time you read this, I'll be somewhere else

Post June 28, 2012, 08:12:43 PM

Re: The Treaty by Robert S. C. Cutler

I can't endorse this one. The characters were generally not well differentiated, and when they were, they were almost all stark good guy/bad guy stereotypes. The plot was also a good-vs-evil construction, and seemed juvenile, like what I might expect from a children's action-adventure TV cartoon show, or at best a 1950's B movie.

The best part of the story was the first section, with Mia trying to escape to the safety of her apartment. It wasn't so good after that. Much of the attempted escape of the women seemed repetitive to me.

I don't know how McCamy comes by her prescience, but the title did nothing to warn me of the outcome, since there was no mention of a treaty until near the end -- and that was after I'd read all the other comments posted.

Sorry, Mr. Cutler -- big disappointment.
I was raised by humans. What's your excuse?

Return to June 2012

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.