The Time Machine by Richard Tornello

Tell us what you thought about the June 2012 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post June 21, 2012, 06:59:37 PM

The Time Machine by Richard Tornello

Wow, Richard continues to move closer to pro and deeper in his philosophy in this original sci fi conceptial poetic story.

I've noticed for years that Richard has the creative audacity to make up words, ways of punctuating, pretty much doing whatever he wants and to hell with the status quo. I suspect this is true with all trailblazers!

Point of reference is this passage, "Femtoseconds, a name given to the spaces between
pulses, can be calibrated as needed."

You can't tear apart a science the author made up in his own mind.

As Richard says, "Suspend your disbelief with the phrase, "Once upon a time..."

Amazing work!

Master Critic

Post June 21, 2012, 08:31:50 PM

Re: The Time Machine by Richard Tornello

A femtosecond is the SI unit of time equal to 10-15 of a second. That is one quadrillionth, or one millionth of one billionth of a second[1]. For context, a femtosecond is to a second what a second is to about 31.7 million years.

The word femtosecond is formed by the SI prefix femto and the SI unit second. Its symbol is fs[2].

A femtosecond is equal to 1000 attoseconds, or 1/1000 picosecond. Because the next higher SI unit is 1000 times larger, times of 10-14 and 10-13 seconds are typically expressed as tens or hundreds of femtoseconds.

Typical time steps for molecular dynamics simulations are on the order of 1 fs.[3]
The waves of visible light oscillate with a period (reciprocal frequency) of about 2 femtoseconds [lambda/c = (600x10^-9)/(3x10^8) = 2.0x10^-15]. The precise period depends on the energy of the photons, which determines their color. (See wave-particle duality) This time can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the light by the speed of light (approximately 3 x 108 m/s) to determine the time required for light to travel that distance.[4]
1.3 fs – cycle time for 390 nanometer light, at the transition between violet visible light and ultraviolet[4]
2.57 fs – cycle time for 770 nanometer light, at the transition between red visible light and near-infrared[4]
200 fs – the swiftest chemical reactions, such as the reaction of pigments in an eye to light[4]
300 fs – the duration of a vibration of the atoms in an iodine molecule[citation needed]

Master Critic

Post June 21, 2012, 09:40:27 PM

rick tornello wrote:A femtosecond is the SI unit of time equal to 10-15 of a second. That is one quadrillionth, or one millionth of one billionth of a second[1]. For context, a femtosecond is to a second what a second is to about 31.7 million years.

The word femtosecond is formed by the SI prefix femto and the SI unit second. Its symbol is fs[2].

A femtosecond is equal to 1000 attoseconds, or 1/1000 picosecond. Because the next higher SI unit is 1000 times larger, times of 10-14 and 10-13 seconds are typically expressed as tens or hundreds of femtoseconds.

Typical time steps for molecular dynamics simulations are on the order of 1 fs.[3]
The waves of visible light oscillate with a period (reciprocal frequency) of about 2 femtoseconds [lambda/c = (600x10^-9)/(3x10^8) = 2.0x10^-15]. The precise period depends on the energy of the photons, which determines their color. (See wave-particle duality) This time can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the light by the speed of light (approximately 3 x 108 m/s) to determine the time required for light to travel that distance.[4]
1.3 fs – cycle time for 390 nanometer light, at the transition between violet visible light and ultraviolet[4]
2.57 fs – cycle time for 770 nanometer light, at the transition between red visible light and near-infrared[4]
200 fs – the swiftest chemical reactions, such as the reaction of pigments in an eye to light[4]
300 fs – the duration of a vibration of the atoms in an iodine molecule[citation needed]

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that really IS a time measurement. Pardon my infinitesimal scientific understanding and - - - way to be (Wikipedia) prepared.

Strangely enough, the persona of another Aphelion great seems prevalent in your explanation. Could it be that - maybe - he has influenced your writing a bit. 8)

Master Critic

Post June 22, 2012, 07:47:33 AM

Mark wrote:
Strangely enough, the persona of another Aphelion great seems prevalent in your explanation. Could it be that - maybe - he has influenced your writing a bit. 8)

Not when it comes to poetry. Poetry allows for the drift, the dream, the inexact. It's music in words. That's pure me and my love of the religion of science using it, science, as a reference point. Just a thought.

As for prose , we still have a difference of opinion. But I do get the canine, man bites dog reference.

HA HA/

RT

Master Critic

Post June 25, 2012, 07:34:39 AM

“As the earth spins, the clock ticks, the calendar flips, and you say no time?
Blaspheming old man,
you’re insane.”

All wikipedia aside - this is what I love about Richard's poetry: it starts out in the BiG picture and works it way down to the intimate. As I'm fond of saying: every second is as infinite as it is finite.
Since the house is on fire - at least let us warm ourselves.

Return to June 2012