The Door by Saki Channing

Tell us what you thought about the May 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Critic

Post May 09, 2007, 07:46:45 AM

I was amazed at the amount of tension that managed to build up by the end of this short story.  It started off fairly routine, and being afraid of the dark didn't strike me as especially innovative, but it really worked.  Good job.

Gareth

Master Critic

Post May 15, 2007, 09:39:02 AM

Re: The Door by Saki Channing

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/ ... edoor.html

You're right, Gareth. It's not terribly innovative. In fact, I have proof:
http://www.jaimie.org/stories/the%20dor.htm

;D

Sorry, didn't mean to pimp my own story. I just thought the title and concept had enough parallels to make a comparison. It's interesting how authors have different interpretations of common themes.

Back to the story at hand, this is well-written. The ending was terrifying, a perfect denouement to the rising tension that Gareth noted. Although it seems somewhat straight-forward, there is a tricky aspect that the writer manages well. She uses a flashback augments the story instead of confusing the reader or hurting the pacing.

You know, I just realized that this is Saki's third story published in Aphelion but the first one to have any comments. Anyone feel embarrassed? :-[
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post May 17, 2007, 02:43:09 AM

i am always embarrassed about something.

back to the story: probably after reading Saki's bio, couldn't help but imagine the protag as Sarah Michelle Gellar and the apartment the one from The Grudge!

but the story was good: short and sweet. I generally hate apartments and was curious to know if the main char liked hers or not, but apparently we're not very likely to find out.

it was obvious there was something lurking in that chasm: anyone who's ever seen that TZ episode could have told you that. Nonetheless, a moody piece that i believe reflects its writer's mindset and own life?

Lee

Editor Emeritus

Post May 17, 2007, 07:01:29 AM

Re: The Door by Saki Channing

FYI, the original title of this piece was "The Trapdoor". (Hence the use of a rod rather than a key to open it.) I changed it to the less evocative "The Door" because trapdoors are specifically defined as being in a floor or ceiling.

I think the author was forced to put the, er, opening, in the wall rather than the ceiling because apartments in Japan tend to be tiny and would not HAVE an attic above or crawlspace or cellar below. Now, if the apartment had been in a house that had been divvied up into apartments ... but it would have to be a Western (European / North American, not Dodge City, that is) style house anyway.

Of course, even an upper-floor apartment in an old house would not be likely to have a trapdoor or door leading into Ultimate Night (with things that go bump in the) either.

Robert "If we wanted 100% realism, we wouldn't be HERE" M.
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876-1916)

Master Critic

Post May 26, 2007, 01:07:03 AM

that was made clear in the story, yes. didn't have any issue imagining this one. it felt like it was set in a regular apartment, althoug the size wasn't made clear.

Lee

Return to May 2007