Whitechapel by Martyn Taylor - Spoilers

Tell us what you thought about the May 2007 issue!

Moderator: Editors

Master Critic

Post May 04, 2007, 05:57:13 AM

delectable and thoroughly intriguing while entertaining. There's a few glitches here and there, especially the para where Weasel flies out the window, but overall very competently written. loved the vocab and humorous turns of phrase!

and the premise...heh, a goldmine! a War of the Worlds prequel! nice take on the venerable classic, in fact much more than nice...having martians do jack the ripper was a neat trick, if you don't mind me saying so!

Weasel and Donkey were both very easily-accepted characters, and Weasel in particular was convincing while likable. Wish it turned out better for him.

Excellent application of a beloved stalwart with a well researched backstory and lots of Victorian atmosphere.

Great!

Lee

Commenter

Post May 06, 2007, 05:20:53 PM

Re: Whitechapel by Martyn Taylor - Spoilers

Glad you like the story, and yes, the paragraph where Weasel defenestrated was rather buttock clenchingly bad wasn't it.  I don't remember writing it that way, but the evidence is I did.  Any I was concentrating soooo hard when I was proof reading.  Gaaa!

I'm afraid the poor Weasel was doomed from word one, although they were both fun to write.  Of course, Donkey still haunts the steets of London.

I would write a sequel, but I fear Mr Wells got there first... and so very much better.

Martyn

Master Critic

Post May 08, 2007, 03:52:49 AM

seriously, if Kevin Anderson ever puts together a new Global Dispatches, this has to be in there.

i loved Whitechapel, it was more than enough to get me scrambling for JTR info across multiple sources. He/they are not the type of historical figure i'm usually interested in so that says a lot.

you did us all proud and so, do not linger on a few messy words here and there...in the greater context they were no problem, was pointing them out in the hope it would help finetune future works.

as a sucker for all things WOTW i admire your creativity and humbly thank you for this contribution.

Lee

Senior Editor

Post May 08, 2007, 09:12:32 AM

i loved Whitechapel, it was more than enough to get me scrambling for JTR info across multiple sources. He/they are not the type of historical figure i'm usually interested in so that says a lot.

Lee

As a contrast, I've been reading up on JTR for over 30 years. I was highly pleased at the accuracy of the Ripper related elements of this story. In fact, I probably got more out of this story than the casual reader that knew only the most general facets of the Ripper and his string of murders in 1888's Whitechapel district of London.

This one was a very good tale, on several levels.

Dan
"Extremely difficult- Virtually impossible- However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..."
Brice Linch - Max Headroom

Master Critic

Post May 08, 2007, 10:20:28 AM

I knew Dan would like this story. ;)

A wonderful read. The intertwining of Martians and Victorian society was perfect. You can tell that a lot of research and hard work went into it. This is a very professional piece that would find a home in a number of paying markets.
"Even the straight arrow needs a crooked bow."
- Samani

jaimie l. elliott

[b:2o4dvkjg]Check out my website:[/b:2o4dvkjg]
http://www.jaimie.org/

Master Critic

Post May 09, 2007, 04:25:18 AM

for sure someone with in depth knowledge of the era and the murders/investigation can get so much more out of this story than a casual reader on the topic.

but i must again say Martyn's take came out of nowhere and really left me wanting more.

Lee

WebMaven

Post May 15, 2007, 10:13:20 AM

Let me add to the avalanche of praise -- I loved this story.

I was a bit wary at first, because of the use of vernacular in the authorial voice, but once I eased into the flow of the narrative I stopped really noticing. Gripping story with a great sense of both character and place.

Master Critic

Post May 17, 2007, 01:50:23 AM

the sarcastic, aloof narrator added to proceedings, sounding like what a period piece narrator should sound like!

Lee

Return to May 2007